SharePoint Intranet, SharePoint Hosting, SharePoint Intranet Portal, SharePoint Portals
SharePoint is one of the most widely used application platforms for a company’s intranet portal. According to the Nielsen Norman Group`s research, 70% of successful intranets are built on SharePoint. Additionally, Nielsen Norman Group determines 10 best intranet portals every year and the best ones for 2013 are:
- Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. (Biotechnology, U.S.)
- American International Group, Inc. (Insurance, U.S.)
- AT&T (Telecommunications, U.S.)
- Hager Group, (Manufacturing, Germany)
- Luzerner Kantonalbank AG, (Financial company, Switzerland)
- ONO (Telecommunications, Spain)
- Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA) (Government, Saudi Arabia)
- Swiss Mobiliar Insurance & Pensions (Insurance, Switzerland)
- WorkSafeBC (Government, Canada)
- XL Group plc (Insurance, Ireland)
To read about these companies please see the following page – 2013 Intranet Design Award Winners.
This research helps to specify the latest trends in the development of successful intranet portals. Let’s take a look at them.
- Time for intranet design – the average time to create and design a portal is 3.5 years, but lately it has decreased to 2.3 years. The process of designing a company portal is not a simple task.
- The size of an organization – it has become simpler for small companies to develop good company portals using modern technologies. The SharePoint platform provides a number of features for great intranet implementation with its social features, efficient MS Office integration, information search and filtering capabilities.
- Intranet management team – nowadays it is important to involve more people in building a successful intranet site. It is impossible for a small team to design and manage an intranet portal that will completely satisfy the needs of all company employees and help improve collaboration and work productivity. The more people involved in the building process – the better the result will be for end users.
- Consulting companies and developers – external consultants are usually involved in helping with SharePoint planning, development, design and branding. They serve to complete particular tasks in which your company`s team does not have enough expertise.
- The authors of intranet content – it is important to consider the primary requirements of the employees when designing the intranet. The best way to ensure usability, high user adoption rates and relevant content inside the portal is to involve people from different offices and departments, the people who will use the site.
- Feature and design development – the latest trend in intranets is to use such features as personalized pages, extended profiles, video channels and mega menus. The additional new features widely used are integration with social sites like Facebook or LinkedIn, and extended filters on site pages.
- Out-of-the-box SharePoint capabilities – the built-in SharePoint features allow improvements in search experience and make document management easier with Office integration.
- Educating employees about social and enterprise features of the platform – intranet users need to know the main usage rules and it is a good idea to provide a short guideline for them. It is also important to establish communication between teams and motivate users for commenting, sharing and creating conversations.
- Permissions – complex site permissions can be a nightmare for your intranet management team. Nowadays most of the companies tend to protect business critical files by using simple permission strategies to avoid the unnecessary complexity.
PlexHosted can provide you with a starting point for your successful intranet. From the planning stage, to SharePoint implementation and customization – this is something PlexHosted can help you with.